Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Elephant March

I stand for wise use of resources and protecting those who cannot help themselves, including the mighty gracious, sacred elephant.

I will be marching in the International March for Elephants in Washington DC on October 4.

Elephants are extremely social, emotional, intelligent beings, that depend on the teachings of the matriarch for herd success and happiness. They remember, and visit their dead. They ritualize events such as births, reunions and deaths in their family units.

They communicate to other elephants across miles of terrain and stay strongly connected to each other that way, and remember each other strongly after many years of being apart. They weep with tears and sobbing when they are frustrated or sad. 

They are being killed by the 1000s and are being DECIMATED towards extinction.

How can we re-invigoroate funding for US Fish and Wildlife to help protect them?

Better yet, how can we convince those that buy ivory goods that it is not worth the price of the lives of elephants?  see this 1 minute animation.

My niece and two nephews are coming with me to be in the march. What an amazing opportunity for all of us. We will make paper mache tusks a few days before and carry those with us. I might make a 3D puppet of an elephant out of Sweetwater coffeebags. That would be a great use for those.

I have never met an elephant. I will meet elephants next year when I go to India and Thailand. Elephants have definitely gotten into a core part of my heart... because they are special beings that are being attacked without much mercy, and I can't stand to think about it. So action must come next because I do love elephants.



No comments:

Post a Comment